WHAT: The 39th Biennial Transpacific Yacht Race, a 2,225 nautical mile
race from San Pedro, California to Honolulu, Hawai`i.
- The race was first conceived by Hawaii's King Kalakaua in 1886 and first
race run with three yachts on June 11, 1906 racing from Los Angeles to
Honolulu. The three yachts entered were:
- La Paloma, a 48-foot schooner owned by Clarence
Macfarlane of Hawaii
- Lurline, an 86-foot schooner owned by Harry Sinclair of
- Anemone, a 112-foot ketch owned by Charles Tutt of New
- The winner was Lurline, with an elapsed time of 12 days, 9 minutes, 59
RECORD: The 20-year old elapsed time record was set in 1977 by the
67-foot sloop Merlin,owned by Bill Lee of Santa Cruz, California: 8 days,
11 hours, 1 minute, 45 seconds.
WHERE: All yachts start off Point Fermin in San Pedro, California. Each
start is scheduled for 12:30 pm, Pacific Daylight Savings Time.
The finish is an imaginary line projecting from the Diamond Head Lighthouse
to the Diamond Head Buoy. The buoy will be left to starboard (right).
- WHEN: Multiple Race Starts as follows:
- June 28,1997 - 1pm Cruising Class
- July 02, 1997 - 1pm Small Boat Class
- July 05, 1997 - 1pm Big Boat Class
- July 07, 1997 - 1pm Multihull Class
- Entry Deadline: May 16, 1997. All
must be launched,
sailing, have submitted a rating certificate, have a crew list and have
completed entry form.
- WHO: Organized and Conducted by:
- Transpacific Yacht Club
Commodore, Gil Jones
- Sponsored by: The Kenwood Corporation
- Hawaii Transpac Committee: General Chairman, Kevin Meechan
- Host Yacht Club:
Waikiki Yacht Club:
Commodore, Gregory P. Frey
MAINLAND PUBLICITY: Rich Roberts
Phone 310-835-2526. Fax: 310-513-1664
HAWAI`I MEDIA: Carol Hogan/Ocean Promotion
73-1241 Melomelo Street
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
Phone & Fax: 808-325-7400
Press facility telephone numbers will be available at a later date.
PUBLIC INFO: Beginning July 1, the Public Information Center will be open to provide Transpac race information to the general public.
The number is: 808-946-9061.
With additional information at: