THE NOT-QUITE-OFFICIAL G-SHOCK TRIPLE CROWN OF SURFING HISTORY QUIZ
Think you know a lot about surfing, Hawai`i and the Triple Crown? Take this quiz and see how you
rate. Score five points for each correct answer, and one point for each correct multiple choice or true-false answer.
- 1. G-Shock, the overall sponsor of the Triple Crown, is...
- A. A fantastic brand of watches made by Casio.
- B. A personal-security company that makes electric probes for people who live in gang-infested
- C. A rapper from South Central Los Angeles who doesn't surf but likes to sponsor contests.
- D. A Brazilian company that makes ultra-skimpy bikinis.
- 2. True or False:
- A. T__ F__ The Triple Crown was created by Fred Hemmings in 1983 when the newly formed
Association of Surfing Professionals rescheduled the World Tour to end in Australia, instead of
- B. T__ F__ Op, sponsor of the Hawaiian Pro, is a California company that makes beach-oriented
- C. T__ F__ Kaipo Jaquias is the defending Triple Crown champion.
- D. T__ F__ Rip Curl, sponsor of the World Cup of Surfing, is an Australian company that makes
wetsuits and clothing.
- 3. How do Triple Crown officials predict when the waves will be good?
- A. They consult a 101-year-old Hawaiian kahuna who lives in a cave near Waimea Bay.
- B. They dial the Psychic Hotline.
- C. They use darts and a very special dart board.
- D. They sniff the wind, look at the horizon then guess and hope for the best.
- E. They combine two decades of ocean knowledge and local experience with predictions from the
University of Hawaii, NOAA, the National Weather Service and professional surf-forecasting
- 4. What are the three events of the Triple Crown?
- A. The $250,000 Cafe Haleiwa Monster Mush Masters
- B. The Op Hawaiian Pro
- C. Obayashi Presents the Kawasaki Outer Reef Challenge
- D. Zeal Optics Presents the Rip Curl World Cup of Surfing
- E. The Chiemsee Gerry Lopez Pipe Masters
- F. The National Association of Chiropractors Presents the Waimea Shorebreak Invitational
- 5. What is the correct pronunciation of Chiemsee?
- A. Kim-chee
- B. Kim-say
- C. Cheem-see
- D. Chime-soy
- 6. What is Chiemsee?
- A. A Japanese company that makes thresher parts for harvesting machines.
- B. A Chinese multinational conglomerate that wants to build underwater condominiums just offshore
- C. A German company that makes sportswear and is insanely popular all over Europe.
- D. Gross, smelly stuff that Koreans eat.
- 7. Which surfer has won the most Triple Crown titles?
- A. Tom Carroll
- B. Gary Elkerton
- C. Sunny Garcia
- D. Derek Ho
- E. Michael Ho
- F. Kaipo Jaquias
- G. Kelly Slater
- 8. Which of the following statements best reflects the ASP judging criteria?
- A. The surfer with the most becoming color scheme and cleanest, whitest teeth shall be deemed the
- B. The surfer with the most stickers on his board and the biggest sponsors shall be deemed the
- C. The surfer who does the most radical controlled maneuvers in the most critical part of the wave
shall be deemed the winner.
- D. The surfer who buys the most drinks at the Turtle Bay Hilton the night before shall be deemed the
- E. The surfer who shows up at the beach with the hottest-looking boyfriend/girlfriend shall be deemed
- 9. Which of the following great Pipeline surfers have never won the Pipe Masters?
- A. Tom Curren
- B. Phil Edwards
- C. Ronnie Burns
- D. Dane Kealoha
- E. Johnny-Boy Gomes
- F. Liam McNamara
- G. Shawn Briley
- 10. Which of the following are among Gerry Lopez's accomplishments?
- A. Street luge champion at the 1996 X Games.
- B. Movie actor.
- C. Heir to the Ginsu Knife fortune.
- D. Owns a house on the beach at the Pipeline.
- E. Pioneered several Indonesian surf breaks.
- F. Renowned origami master.
1-A; 2-all true; 3-E (and a little bit of D); 4-B, D & E; 5-B; 6-C; 7-D; 8-C; 9-none of them has ever
won the Pipe Masters; 10-B, D & E.
HOW DO YOU RATE?
0-10: Ohio is five hours ahead of Hawaii. If you call now, you might be able to talk to your cows.
11-20: No, that's the Pacific Ocean you're looking at.
20-30: You're smart enough to wear a T-shirt to prevent Boogie Board rash.
30-40: You know how to pronounce Wahiawa.
40+: You're bummed you got bumped from the Pipe Masters trials.